[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Let me introduce myself

benwillis benwillis at verizon.net
Wed Feb 1 00:41:57 EST 2006

I did dabble in 6809 assembler. Yes it was cool. Frustrating thing
was having to write 6 or 8 instructions compared to 1 line of BASIC.
Of course, those 6 or 8 instructions were way faster, and more
flexible. And one could create a routine that was parameterized to
avoid having to re-write those same 6 or 8 instructions again.  But,
perhaps it's just personal taste - I found assembler was more often
frustrating than it was fun.  That's why I like high level languages
(I'm a software engineer by profession) - you can get alot more done
in much less time, with much higher reliability and manageability.
Of course, every language has its place.

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, Charles Richmond
<richmond at p...> wrote:

> On Jan 30, 2006, at 11:36 PM, benwillis wrote:
>
> >        [snip...]           [snip...]            [snip...]
> >
> > My main motivation for this is to teach my 7 year old son how to
> > program. PC's are cool, and there are alot of great compilers
etc.
> > out there. But there is something fundamentally wonderful with
the
> > Coco. You turn it on, and all it does is BASIC. The simplicity
and
> > dedication of doing a single purpose and doing it well just
shines.
> > Plus the original Coco manuals I think do a great job of teaching
> > how to use BASIC and some general programming principles in
> > general.  He has grown up playing computer games and GameCube and
> > yet the Coco fascinates him.  He's an avid reader and I'm
anxious to
> > get a hold of Bedlam, Madness and Minotaur, Pyramid, Raaka-Tu and
> > The Sands of Egypt.
> >

> You are missing out if you do *not* learn to program in 6809
assembly
> language. In my opinion, the 6809 has the greatest assembly
language of
> any of the 8-bit micros. It has all sorts of wonderful, whiz-bang
> features!!!
>
> --
> |   Charles and Francis Richmond     richmond at plano dot net   |
>

> --
> |   Charles and Francis Richmond     richmond at plano dot net   |

Yahoo! Groups Links