[Coco] [OT] Analog computer from Radio Shack

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Mon Dec 18 12:39:21 EST 2006

Wow!

I didn't know the Shack put out something like this (at one time). I
have two of their other "computers" - the "logic switch-n-bulbs" one,
and the later one with the real, somewhat-programmable-in-assembler
microcontroller kit. However, both of these came about long after the
one being sold on Ebay.

As far as schematics are concerned, while I don't have anything for that
kit, I know I have seen similar schematics before for such beginning
machines - likely old (pre-1970) PopSci or PopMech magazines, or maybe
in a contemporary-to-the-period book on computers (also tough to find).
Or maybe it was SciAm (Mathematical Recreations, likely)?

I can imagine such a machine being as "accurate as a slide rule", though
- slide rules weren't very accurate (but pretty damn good for a "pair of
sticks"! ). But then again, I am a jaded young'un who was raised with
calculators and computers (got my CoCo 2 when I was 10-11'ish). Yes, I
know "slide rules" came in a variety of shapes, sizes and functions (one
of my smaller hobbies is collecting antique computer "stuff", especially
computer books from the early days - 1940s-60s - still looking for a
piece of Babbage's machines).

At the computer museum in San Diego, they have a display of an analog
computer, about the size of a couple of refrigerators side-by-side, that
was used originally in calculations used for grinding lenses of some
sort - so they can't be too bad.

Thanks for the heads up on this unique device - way out of my current
budget for such a thing, though it would have went nice with my collection.

-- Andrew L. Ayers
    Glendale (Phoenix), Arizona