[Coco] Rainbow IDE 2.0 Basic and Gold in the works

Roger Taylor webmaster at coco3.com
Sat Dec 30 14:53:47 EST 2006

Hello fellow programmers,

I've started work on Rainbow IDE 2.0 after months of idleness and
feedback gathering.  An advanced version for the more hardcore
programmers will also be created called Rainbow Gold.  The versioning
scheme will be Rainbow 2.0 Basic and Rainbow 2.0 Gold.  Easy enough,
and upgrading will be easy.

Lots of work in the M.E.S.S. emulator department will be done to help
combat a serious problem I've had to deal with for years.  For some
reason, the M.E.S.S. binaries and support tools such as imgtool and
wimgtool keep CHANGING in ways that cripple my IDEs.  Usually, these
changes are small and probably unnecessary, but for whatever reason
the -options and -flags keep changing in imgtool.exe, I'm sure the
author(s) have a good reason.

SO... what I'm doing is creating a smart system that should defeat
the problem that the M.E.S.S. system keeps introducing.  In order for
Rainbow to work seamlessly with the M.E.S.S. system on each release,
I have to "outsmart" the system in several ways.  My goal is to
devise a method of tickling the exe files in so many ways that it
reveals it's new changes that could have otherwise crippled the
Rainbow IDE from building virtual floppy disks or launching the
emulator.  On top of that, a manual override will be provided so the
programmer can set the IDE to use ANY version of mess.exe and
imgtool.exe no matter what the authors did to break compatibility
(not on purpose, ofcourse).  Nathan, are you reading this?  :)

A CoCo BASIC compiler is planned to be added as well, which should
let BASIC programmers create super-fast binary games and programs
using much simpler BASIC statements!

Please give me your feedback and ideas for the Rainbow IDE!

www.rainbowide.com

Thanks,
Roger Taylor

--