[Coco] Finally got broadband (ot)

Stephen Castello zootzoot at cfl.rr.com
Mon Aug 28 22:54:11 EDT 2006

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 21:33:26 -0500, Christopher Hawks <chawks at dls.net>
had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

>Bruce W. Calkins wrote:
>> Yes, I started with 300 around 1986 on my CoCo.  It soon became clear that I
>> could not afford the long distance charges though.  It wasn't until 1998
>> that I got back on line.  28.8, then 33.6.  Now I'm running a 56k modem on a
>> phone line that supports 44.3 on good days, when the wind and stars are
>> right.
>
>	OK. I'll jump in. First Coco 1980(!) First 300 baud _acoustic_ modem
>1984/5. Big enough to set the _rotary_ phone on. Only 300 baud BBS-s to
>talk to.

First one was a Volksmodem 300 on a Coco2.  Then a Avatex 1200,
followed by a Zoom 2400, then a Courier V.Everything and lastly a
Diamond SupraExpress 56.  I still have all but the Volksmodem around
here somewhere.  Had to use the Diamond for a bit back in 2004 until
RR was back online after Hurricanes Francis & Jeanne.

Stephen