[Coco] Proto CoCo

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Mon Aug 28 11:37:42 EDT 2006

Mark, Mike:

If I was doing this kind of thing (and I have thought about building the
ROS or a relay interface for the CoCo), I would probably build the
interface board using a disk cartridge interface as a template to lay
out the connector PCB traces using a PC and a laser printer. Then drop
those onto the photo-resist printable sheets you can buy, purchase
dual-sided/clad copper PCBs, and etc away. Finish up using a jigsaw and
some sanding. You could lay out prototype traces this way as well, or
just lay out your circuit as you need.

That would be fine for a "one-off", but for a production run, if I
didn't have the tools (I don't) - I would have one of these FAB places
on the internet do it. There are tons of them out there - pick up an
issue of Nuts and Volts magazine and they will all drop out.

For the cartridge cases, I would probably try to get them manufactured
via one of the many places which take DXF files (or custom files -
emachineshop, for instance, IIRC, uses their own proprietary software)
and have them custom mold me a bunch of cases. It wouldn't be cheap (it
would be prohibitive for a one-off), but if I were running a business to
sell this kind of thing like Cloud-9, it would be the way to go (though
it looks like you have this covered, Mark - btw, when will we be able to
purchase things from you again?).

For a one-off board, I would probably fabricate some kind of shim or
holder to get it to stay OK in the slot, with some standoffs and rubber
feet for the board bit that hung outside the case.

Just my 2 cents...

-- Andrew L. Ayers
    Glendale (Phoenix), Arizona