[Coco] Proto CoCo

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Aug 28 10:46:25 EDT 2006

On Monday 28 August 2006 10:09, Mark Marlette wrote:
>Mike,
>
>We bought all of the remaining stock thata certain vendor had from
>Tandy. I still have over 150 cases. :) Always wanted some shorty cases
>but you have to buy ROM packs for that and I HATE to destroy to
>create....
>
>I have Orcad for schematic capture, WinBoard for board layout and
>Specctra for my auto router. Ivex with out of business but I know their
>layout tool so well, I know all the work arounds and can make any part
>I want to.
>
>If I was to make a quick prototype board what would people like on it???
>
>Decode section, wire wrap section to bus signals????
>
>I would go with a solder masked board with gold card edge.
>
>I already have the board outline....the rest is a snap.......

That might be a good idea Mark, all us wannabe design engineers would have
to have a couple of those just to play with if the price was reasonable.
(there I go again, thinking like a retired old fart on SS, which I am
these days)  Throw out a price & we'll see if its reasonable.

I especially like the gold card edge as I was the one who got tired of my
mpi being so intermittent, sawed the 'solder plated' nose off it, and
sawed the edge off a plated pc card, tacking it in place with a 3% silver
bearing solder as the bridgeing from the mpi board to that.  Now the only
intermittent connection is those grounding clips at the end of the side
port socket.  If I was still using it for the workhorse machine, I expect
I'd have figured out a way to cannibalize some gold-plated ground plane
pieces big enough for the ears and did the same thing with the those, &
maybe even had the clips plated.  I did go so far as ask a jeweler for a
quote once, but its $ has faded into history now.

But its the shoemakers kids story, I'm not using it daily anymore, which is
damnation with faint praise for first a full blown big box amiga, and now
linux on an Athlon XP2800 & a gig of ram in the fastest box & nearly 500Gb
of drives in 3 boxes.

Actually, such a kit, with gold plated clips and edge/ear  patterns, just
might be something you could sell to frustrated by bad connections mpi
users.  I've got another later mpi I'd love to so convert.  There's a
potential sale of that for every cart the shack ever sold, not just the
mpi's.  Unforch it will also test the users skill and soldering tools, so
theres a potential to sell the conversion being done by you since not all
of the users are fluent in hot solder.