[Coco] Back to School

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Aug 27 12:26:19 EDT 2006

On Sunday 27 August 2006 08:55, Bruce W. Calkins wrote:
>Was: [Coco] followup on nitros9/disto errors
>
>And on that note, I'll drop the line that I'm going back to school
> starting tomorrow.

Congratulations Bruce.  Since we've met face to face, I do think you'll do
ok.

> Electrical / Electronic Engineering Technology,
> Computer Systems Concentration, at Chattanooga State Community College.
>  Other
>concentrations sharing the first year curriculum are Automated Controls
> and Networking Technology.

Who knows, maybe you'll be the one that designs an ethernet interface for
our old workhorses when you're done...

>I'm not sure just how much to blame my CoCo('s) (From 01-1983) and this
> fine assemblage of personas for this choice.  We'll be finding out just
> how well this old man can keep up with the other kids in class.  (33
> years after High School)  Although it's creates some trepidation when
> one has to get a dictionary out before he's finished reading the
> introductions to the text books. (pedagogy)

Humm, from the wikipedia: pedagogy (teaching children) and andragogy
(teaching adults). The Latin-derived word for pedagogy, education, is much
more widely used, and often the two are used interchangeably.

It goes on to note that some Universities are actually awarding Doctoral
degrees in Pedagogy for their excellence in teaching.

Interesting, I learned something so the day isn't a total loss (yet).  I'd
never bothered to look the word up before, but the google box in the
corner of the firefox screen makes it so easy I couldn't resist.

Now, totally offtopic, I'm looking for a 2 stick supply of 1.25" tan or
pewter colored "J channel" to complete the exterior transformation of a
sliding patio door assembly into an equal width pella thermopane window in
the front of my house.  When, several years ago, we finished ripping off a
couple of tons of brick veneer whose attachment nailer tabs had rusted in
two so the veneer was falling off, we put an inch of that blue foam
insulation in its place, and some plastic sideing that had the brick
pattern molded in, and used some of the 1.25" J channel for the edgeing.

Now, in filling up the bottom 46" of the door opening, I've put 4" of the
blue foam stuff between the studs, (I also blew a foot of cellulous under
the floor while it was opened up before I built it up level with the rest
of the floor, I'm tired of cold feet in that room which was, 35 years ago,
an attached garage) and firred out the faces of the studs to bring that
level with the foam, then covered that with a 1/2" foam sheet, the stuff
with aluminum foil faces, on top of that, followed by a sheet of 1/2"
plywood for a nailer/stapler to hold the faux brick sideing.  The wider J
channel (normal is 5/8" wide) would allow me to encapsulate the nailer
sheet and the brick siding, and give a good back surface to caulk the
houses now elderly 8" wide alu sideing back in place.  Otherwise the
sideing is going to be caulked to a much less sturdy foam and plywood
edge.  Or I'm going to have to figure out how to bend up a flashing edge
and make it look "purty".

So the question then is, does anyone know of a supplier for this wider J
channel?  Lowes, Home Depot, 84 Lumber, Heartland Lumber, Butcher-Layfield
and O.C.Cluss have all come up empty so far, either in plastic or
metallic.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)