[Coco] followup on nitros9/disto errors

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Aug 26 15:49:45 EDT 2006

On Saturday 26 August 2006 12:51, Mike Pepe wrote:
>Just to followup:
>
>I've yet to get my new nitros9 boot disk with the disto SCII driver
> working.
>
>When I edit the standard.bl file, the mb script won't run.
>
>Output looks like this (verbatim):
>
>* Step 3: Create the bootfile and boot track
>sterisk (*) is the
>* first character of the line
>*
>********************************
>* Kernel/System Section
>*
>* These modules are mandatory
>../MODULES/KERNEL/krnp2
>*../MODULES/KERNEL/krnp3_perr
>*../MODULES/KERNEL/krnp4_regdump
>../MODULES/SYSMODS/iERROR #216
>*
>* Step 4: Populate the disk with essential files
>copying shell to /d1/CMDS/shell
>copying grfdrv to /d1/CMDS/grfdrv
>*
>* We're done
>
>To quote NASA: "Obviously a major malfunction." It appears that the
>standard.bl file is corrupted either by the editor on linux or the
>toolshed utility that puts the file back on the disk. If I read the disk
>back into an image and copy out the standard.bl (on the linux box) and
>open it, the file appears normal. They compare identically. So, that's
>not the issue.
>
>What would cause the script to dump the contents of the file like that?
>I like the "sterisk is the first character" thing, what's up with that?
>
>help!
>
>-Mike

Linux uses a linefeed chrs($10) as the EOL convention, whereas os9 uses a
carriage return, chrs($13).  The broken line may be an artifact of the no
linefeeds, and the editor may have tried to word wrap it when it ran out
of line buffer or something similar.  I'd try a different editor, and if
need be, use a hex editor to change the $10's back into $13's before
feeding it to mb.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)