[Color Computer] [coco] Learning MW C

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 16 16:08:23 EDT 2006

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "James Diffendaffer"
<jdiffendaffer at ...> wrote:

> >C on the Coco is not likely to be faster than Basic09. For maximum

> BASIC09 uses a bytecode interpreter.  It's unlikely that it would be
> even close to C.

Now that I have a minute to retype part of my original post...
I've been in the 'C' vs compiled BASIC argument many times including
full BASIC compilers that generate stand alone executables rather than
byte codes.  C has always won and the margin of victory is usually
pretty substantial if any data processing was involved and the
application wasn't I/O bound.

One example was a program on the PC that extracted data from the
mainframe, scanned for errors, sorted it and created a new database on
the PC.  It took over 20 minutes in the Visual Basic version and under
5 minutes in C++.  And that was after I optimized the sort in the VB
program.  It originally took over 12 hours.

Yahoo! Groups Links