[Color Computer] [coco] Learning MW C

George's Coco Address yahoo at dvdplayersonly.com
Mon Aug 14 18:25:56 EDT 2006

 My system starts with a 512K CC3, one 3.5" floppy and a board I built to
connect it to anything I can imagine. It's all mounted inside and old modem
cabinet with a switching power supply.

 The I/O board has four, 8 bit output latches and four, 8 bit input chips. I
use these I/O ports to connect this coco to several things, such as my
darkroom enlarger and my tiny CNC machine. I've used it for home security
also, but now I don't need that, as where I'm living now, I can leave
anything outside and it will be untouched.

 To operate a servo/stepper, the output latches are connected to a box I
built that has a large power supply and driver transistors to drive the
steppers, or whatever else I wish to power with it.

 I know for certain that a coco can spin three stepping motors as fast as
they could go. The math to figure out when and how fast to step them is
another story.

 I was asked if I have a sine wave table for them. Yes, I do. But it isn't a
sine wave, it is the sequence of steps to operate the three phases on each
motor. The B09 routine that drives each motor stores the last value used so
the next time it's accessed, it starts where it left off last time so the
motor won't get jumped to the wrong position.
 The B09 routine also allows for slop in the mechanism in case of a
direction change. I used a dial indicator to determine the optimum back
stepping to position the axis in the correct place.

  This Tiny CNC machine's table has the two basic axis. Left/right, and
in/out. The third axis is to move the dremel up and down. The fourth axis is
an add-on to rotate the target(for cutting gears, sprockets, etc.). I don't
use this to make wheels. I can do that on my lathe. Gears, sprockets and
someday, cylinders and steam chests will be the target.
 Since I'm not really in a hurry to make these things, the slow method I use
does work. It would be nice if I could make it work faster.

 I'm not going to build a PC, buy lots of circuitry and spend money on this.
I have all the 74XX and 74XXX stuff I'll ever need, including hundreds if
not thousands of transistors, resistors, capacitors and all the usual
discreet components one may desire.
 It's a hobby! As such, it's just fun to do. Right now, I have this coco in
my darkroom. I haven't had a chance lately to work on my steam projects,
mostly because of the math involved and the speed thing.
 Another problem I've been having is static discharges(I think) from the
dremel when cutting metal. Somehow, it gets into the coco and occasionally
crashes it. I expect I'm going to have to do some special grounding tricks
and carefully make sure I don't get ground loops. I suppose some small caps
on the AC might be in order also. I don't know yet as lately, I haven't had
a chance to connect it all up again and watch this stuff with an O-Scope.

 George