[Color Computer] [coco] Learning MW C

Charles Richmond richmond at plano.net
Sat Aug 12 01:47:59 EDT 2006

On Aug 11, 2006, at 7:11 PM, George's Coco Address wrote:

>  For several years, I've been wanting to learn "C" .. the one that
> comes
> with OS-9.
>
>  The hang up is peeks and pokes. I can't find a way to do this with
> "C".
>
>  Can anyone help with this?

Declare a character pointer like this:

char  *cptr = (char *) 0xabcd;   /* abcd is the address to poke */

In the executable instructions, do this:

    *cptr = 35;     /* this pokes decimal 35 into hex address 0xabcd */

    *cptr = 0xff;   /* this pokes hex ff into hex address 0xabcd */

    cptr = (char *) 0x0100;  /* this changes the address to hex 100 */

    *cptr = 0xaa;   /* this pokes hex aa into hex address 100 */

If you want, you can declare the pointer *without* initializing it to
a value. Just be sure to assign an address to the pointer *before* you
attempt to do a "poke".

|   Charles and Francis Richmond     richmond at plano dot net   |