[Coco] 512 Upgrade

Carey Eugene carey at cebridge.net
Wed Aug 9 00:21:52 EDT 2006

From: <Nuxie at aol.com>

>> In a message dated 8/8/2006 11:44:49 AM Central Standard Time,
>> carey at cebridge.net writes:
>>
>> I'm  certainly not too bright when it comes to hardware, but I'm guessing
>> that  I probably shouldn't have clipped the caps, even though the
>> directions
>> said to do so.  And possibly some quirk in the chips or the CC3 just
>> needed
>> some extra capacitence or something that the aligator clip  provided.

> You know when i installed my 512 k i didn't "cut or clip"
> anything................

I was just following the directions that came with mine.  And they were
basically what I heard / read elsewhere.

It didn't occur to me to try it before clipping them.  Wish it had, but it
didn't.  The directions were simple & clear, so I carefully followed them...
And it didn't work.

That's why I was thinking that maybe some versions of the CC3 & memory
boards & mem chips don't need them clipped.

And that maybe the aligator clip I had to keep in there was providing the
extra capacitance that was needed.  That was the only thing I could think
of.

[shrug]  Long in the past, but since he was having trouble similar to what I
had, I thought it might be worth passing along.

I've never really been very lucky with messing with hardware...  Like the
time I managed to short out my brand new 16k CoCo 1 'F' board.  Let's just
say it involved a small 120v AC cooling fan and delicate 5v electronics....
(I blamed that one on a power surge....  Which was technically
true...[grin])  We drove 60 miles to the nearest Radio Shack and dropped it
off.  A week later we went and picked it up.  It didn't work.  Drove back
that afternoon and dropped it back off.  A week later we drove over to pick
it up and I asked them to try it... It didn't work!  A week later they
called to let me know it was back and this time I was smart enough to ask
them to try it right then while I was on the phone, rather than making a 125
mile round trip to find out it still didn't work.

And I've managed to destroy a few more electronic items over the years...
I'd never make it as an electronics repair tech.

Carey