[Color Computer] Re: [Coco] high density floppy controller mods

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 6 23:15:35 EDT 2006

I've been planning on breaking out the CoCo anyway but this talk about
using high density disks and some other topics finally got me to quit
stalling.

I checked my drive controllers and one is the right model to mod but
it has the slower 17 version of the controller chip.  Looks like I'll
wait to mod it.

I did finally put together a 720K CoCo floppy drive based on an old
external IBM CD-ROM drive I've had for a decade.  I took out the
CD-ROM and put in a 3.5" drive with a 5.25" adapter and cable adapter
I purchased on ebay a couple years ago.  I think there's a guy that
handles Model III/IV stuff that may still have some if anyone is
interested.

I took the 2 25 pin connectors off the back of the case and ran the
standard drive cable in through one of the holes on the back of the
case.  The standard drive cable is just long enough so that I can
still attach the old 5.25" drive to the other connector.  This should
let me transfer my CoCo files to the 3.5" disks.

The drive works great as drive 1 but I'll have to to make some mods to
the adapter board so that I can use the old CD drive selector switch
to choose the unit number.

Speaking of 3.5" disks... I purchased 100 New Old Stock Verbatim disks
on ebay last month.  They were still in the original factory bulk box
and wraped in the original wrapping material.  Once I get things on
3.5" I'll worry about transferring files to the PC.

Yahoo! Groups Links