[Color Computer] [Coco] high density floppy controller mods

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 6 11:52:53 EDT 2006

farna at att.net wrote:
>> Joel, what puzzles me is why no one has ever attempted to use one of
<snip>
>I'd say the major reason is compatibility. None of those super-IO
>chips are WD-compatible. Also physically most are in small packages
>which are more difficult for the home-based hacker to play with than
>good old DIPs.
>
>For OS/9, of course, compatibility is less of an issue.
>
>Also those super-IO chips are very ISA-bus dependent, so it can be a
>bit tricky to get it mapped.
>
>I was going to try something like that, but I was never able to find a
>small quantity of the controller chips. Intel has (had) some
>interesting ones.
>
>-Mike

I purchased a few of these cheap.  It was mapped to ISA addresses and
would need a PLD just to map CoCo addresses to the ISA addresses, it
was an 8 bit IDE controller, the floppy controller isn't compatible
with DECB, and it had a LOT of small pins.

The 8 bit IDE port was what bothered me.  By the time IDE went 16 bit
I think chipsets had shifted to North/South bridge designs with that
functionality built in.

Yahoo! Groups Links