[Coco] New Coco3 owner

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Aug 5 12:03:25 EDT 2006

On Saturday 05 August 2006 10:31, Mark McDougall wrote:
>Warren Hoslet wrote:
>> The FD-500 does not require a 12V supply. It uses a WD1773 FDC which is
>> 5 volt only. The original Radio Shack controller (Cat No 26-3022) is
>> the only one which uses the WD1793 and thus requires 12V.
>
>Oh OK, cool. There's some erroneous info floating about the net then.
>
>So the FD-500 being the earliest, I'm guessing, means it does the least?
>Single density, single sided 35/40 tracks???

It can do anything when being operated by os9 except the 500 kilobaud data
rate disk formats, which rules out the 1.2 meg 5.25", and 1.44 meg 3.5"
formats.  Only those original controllers useing the wd1793, or the
fujitsu 8877 that was used in some of the aftermarket controllers can do
the faster, 500 kilobaud data rates.

The limits for rsdos's 35 track single sided format are all in the disk
basic roms.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: