[Coco] hard drive :-)

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Thu Aug 31 05:40:09 EDT 2006

Finally!!!!

I found a hard drive that the Glenside board & 2.0 drivers liked.
It's a cute little 4gig Seagate.

I set up 2 95M partitions. I wanna keep the cluster size to 1 sector.

First it didn't want to be /dd.  But I ignored it for a week and then
it started working.  Go fig.

I don't know if anyone's played with this but I'm using an 80-line ATA
cable.  I figure the extra ground lines are important on an external
setup like this.

Rather than restoring a backup of my old hard drive, I've been
building this up from scratch, starting with the NitrOS-9 3.2.6.  It's
been fun.

I think I've finally got the palette set up the way I want it.  Though
I've no doubt that some program I'll want to install soon will use
some wierd combination of colors that will be horrible.  Where does
the text-mode cursor color come from?  As far as I can tell, it's the
window's background slot -1?

So, here are the interesting bits I've come across:

Color Computer Artist uses the second mouse button (shocking!) to call
the menu.  Since that button has been co-opted by NitrOS as a
switch-window button this doesn't work.  Fortunately theres a
keystroke to summon the menu.

Weird versions of gshell make my head hurt.

When Boisy changed the syntax of tmode he broke every program that
calls tmode.  Things doing a tmode -echo can be patched easily enough,
but what about calls for "tmode echo"?  STEVIE, a vi clone, has this
problem.  So do others, but I haven't gotten to them yet.

Rebuilding my C compiler system is being complicated.  The various
replacement parts are scattered over about a hundred disks.  But this
time I'm keeping track of it better.  When I'm done I'll know which
include files came with what library (or what version of the library!)
and will be able to describe how to set all this up.

Anyway, when OS-9 consents to quit being weird and settle down and
work, it's pretty sweet on a hard drive.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
   --- Yacko