[Coco] DS-69B Reverse Engineering/GofD Archive

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Fri Aug 4 19:54:52 EDT 2006

Joel,

I have (somewhere) a DS-69B and a copy of all the software - however, it
has been a long while (at least 14 years) since I even plugged it in, I
don't know if it still works or not. Plus, right now I don't have the
time to contribute anything to such an RE project, though it does
interest me.

If you can wait, let me get back to you on this at a later point
(probably a few to several moons from now). I am sorry I can't offer you
more on this...

--

BTW - regarding the GofD archive and getting it to run on a real CoCo,
from what I remember about my original copy, it wouldn't run properly on

I also still have all the BASIC routines Tim Lindner sent me to pull
what I could off of my original floppies and such, but I couldn't tell
you exactly how they work, other than they put the WD controller in the
disk controller in a "wierd" mode to change how it read the tracks to
check the copy protection, etc. I don't know if the Disto controller
could do this mode or not (it was peculiar to the WD chipset used in the
FD-50x controllers).

It would be best to contact Tim about this issue, as he knows how the
copy protection scheme used by Diecom works (he needed to get them
running for the MESS emulator). He also should have copies of the code
we used, plus a lot more. He told me that it might be possible to force
the controller into the proper mode and write out the tracks in the same
format as they were on the original floppies, but that he used his
CatWeasel for that instead.

If you do manage to get a floppy version working (especially on a CoCo
3), please let me know - I would love to play GofD on my original
hardware again (emulation looks great, but it just isn't quite the same).

Something else I would like to see would be a patch for it from PMODE 4
to PMODE 3 - I don't know if this is possible or not, but it would be
great if it was so that it could be played on an RGB monitor.

-- Andrew L. Ayers
    Glendale (Phoenix), Arizona