[Coco] Remote participation for Fest?

Dave Kelly daveekelly at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 24 21:55:25 EDT 2006

Tony Podraza wrote:
> Folks,
> With Dave's absence, is there anyone with the knowledge and capability to step in?
> Unfortunately, I do not have either the necessary hardware, nor the knowledge to acomplish the web-link.
> If anyone else is adept at this, please speak up.
>
> tp

Looks like I got a reprieve. The stress test today did not show as much
damage as originally thought. I will overnight Wednesday after a stint
insertions.  I'll be with ya'll this weekend in electrons.

Now to your  problems.

Most of you have a  camera in the closet that will work. Don't think
webcam, think camcorder. Almost every video camcorder I researched last
year had the capabilities of working as a webcam. Mostly it amounts to
not having any tape/recording media in the thing. The operation guide
   will tell you how or send you to a   web site that will tell you how
to hook it up.

I bought a Sony HI8 and a Hauppage TV capture card for this project.
Using 2 linux computers wired inside a LAN. Did not test sound with this
setup but the capabilities is there. Audio streams on both.

Adjust these to your taste.

First method:
Sony HI8 camera send a steady stream to the TV capture card. 'ffmpeg'
overwrote the image on hard drive. Small html program refreshed
immediately and read the image. Other computers browser looked down the
LAN IP and read the html program and displayed the image.

Second method:
Sony HI8 camera send a steady stream to the TV capture card. 'Cam
streamer' overwrote the image on hard drive every half second. Small
html program refreshed immediately and read the image. Other computers
browser looked down the LAN IP and read the html program and displayed
the image.

Don't remember numbers for 1st method but the 2nd went something like
this. Using 'top' the capture/uploading CPU usage  never went above 38%.
The receiving/refreshing CPU stayed near 100%.

I need sound for a project this fall. (50th   high school reunion).  I
figured I could use it in Chicago for the auction and any impromptu
interviews that developed. Plus the sing along Saturday Night Live. So I
bought microphones, stands, a mixer, and extra cable.

Don't forget the proxy problem we had last year. Someone needs to have a
proxy accessible to get around the parential control on Holiday Inns
WIFI system.