[Coco] 1000sx update

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Apr 22 00:35:11 EDT 2006

On Friday 21 April 2006 23:48, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 4/21/06 3:15:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>
>goosey at virgo.sdc.org writes:
>>If  Tandy had put a real expansion bus and a DMA controller in the
>>CoCo...  Ah well.
>
>If Tandy had merely brought out the DMA Request and Grant leads from
> eh  6809 as part of the bus, then at least controllers plugged into
> the MPI could have used DMA.  No-Halt floppies would have been the
> standard, and HDs  would be so much faster.
>
>>To use MFM on my CoCo, I'd have to dig up that old XEBEC  SASI-to-MFM
>>board and use the LR-Tech controller, and I don't think I'm  going
>> there. You know, that's why my CoCo 3 quit being my main
>> computer... It simply could not keep a hard drive filesystem
>> uncorrupted.
>
>I never had any real problems with file corruption under OS-9 with my
> B&B and ST-225 MFM system.  At least not till I added a second
> ST-225,  which required an updated driver from Chris Burke.  The only
> file foulup I  ever had was on my MM/1 OS9/68K box, and that happened
> only once (no idea  why).
>
>That B&B MFM system may be clunky, but "the original is still the
> greatest." --Mike K.

I'm of the opposite opinion Mike.  I bought one of the original B&B
XT-RTC kits from Chris, the black alu sandwich held together with 3/4"
posts.  I put, trying to fix a read problem, 3 different branded clones
of the WD-1027 card in it at various times and never seemed to effect
the fact that it would hand OS9 an empty buffer for a sector of the FAT
when it was doing a file write.  I learned a great deal about the os9
file systems file structures recovering from that, and probably lost
irretrieveably a gigabyte of work on a 30 meg drive.  I probably cut
100 acres of trees to print the assembly printouts as they were
generated so I'd have hard copy to type back in if it was lost.

I eventually gave up and bought a 4n1, putting a maxtor 7120s on it and
never had that problem again.

But, I had some old 10 and 20 meg mfm drives at the tv station that had
been replaced with bigger ones and bought a B&B XT-RTC for the offices
coco3.  It didn't do it, ever.  Even with two drives on it, an old ten
mag tandon and a 20 meg st-225 it was bulletproof.  I even had a clone
copy of one to the other and back running by cron in the wee hours of
the night going to see if it would ever sneeze.  The only thing that
was ever noticed was the janitorial folks mentioned that one of the
drives was screeching pretty bad in the night.  I never did find out
which one it was, and the copies were always identical the next day.  I
did put a glob of vaselene on the rotors grounding contact of both of
them though.  Still got that setup too by golly.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: