[Coco] 1000sx update

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Fri Apr 21 23:48:34 EDT 2006

In a message dated 4/21/06 3:15:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
goosey at virgo.sdc.org writes:

>If  Tandy had put a real expansion bus and a DMA controller in the
>CoCo...  Ah well.

If Tandy had merely brought out the DMA Request and Grant leads from eh  6809
as part of the bus, then at least controllers plugged into the MPI could
have used DMA.  No-Halt floppies would have been the standard, and HDs  would be
so much faster.

>To use MFM on my CoCo, I'd have to dig up that old XEBEC  SASI-to-MFM
>board and use the LR-Tech controller, and I don't think I'm  going there.
>You know, that's why my CoCo 3 quit being my main  computer... It
>simply could not keep a hard drive filesystem  uncorrupted.

I never had any real problems with file corruption under OS-9 with my  B&B
and ST-225 MFM system.  At least not till I added a second ST-225,  which
required an updated driver from Chris Burke.  The only file foulup I  ever had was
on my MM/1 OS9/68K box, and that happened only once (no idea  why).

That B&B MFM system may be clunky, but "the original is still the  greatest."
 --Mike K.