[Coco] Rainbow on Disc Volunteers

Rod Barnhart rod.barnhart at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 14:18:28 EDT 2006

On 4/19/06, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 April 2006 13:30, Neil Morrison wrote:
> >If you own the magazine and scan it and post it on a site which allows
> > no downloads I can't see a problem.
> >
> You cannot stop the downloading.  All you have to do is 'save page as'
> in any browser.

If you upload the files to a folder outside the site's normal
structure, then those files cannot (normally) be displayed in a
browser. If they can't be displayed, then they can't be saved locally
:)

(I say normally because they can. It just requires that there be
additional support programs to render the file. I do this with a web
application that I developed. Pictures that are uploaded go to
/pictures on the machine www. /home/site/public_html is the root
folder for www.somesite.com. Therefore,
http://www.somesite.com/picture.jpg does not display anything.
However, http://www.somesite.com/displayImage.php?pic=picture.jpg
does, after making sure the current user is allowed to view the
picture. It's a bit more complex than that, but you should get the
idea.)

--
Rod Barnhart aka Wintermute (http://www.nitemarecafe.com)