[Coco] Preparing for a job which requires knowledge of C

Tony C cappy2112 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 02:26:00 EDT 2006

>>There is NO version after V6.0. It is NOW called Visual  Studio NET.
VB.NET is the successor to VB6.0

>>But I trust that VB programs will still run on any Windows PC.  Or  won't
they?
Yes, they still run. I'v ebeen maintaining a VB6 app for severl years now.
It runs on 98.2k, and XP.

I've just  listened to some Podcasts about migrating to .NET, and what fell
out of that is that C# & VB.Net are so similar,
that these experts suggested VB6 programmers migrate to C# instead of VB.NET
.

>>And if I ever upgrade to Studio NET, will it import my old projects?
There are wizards to help with the migration, but this is not a total
solution.
The podcasts spelled out a better path, but it involved a commercial
product, which would analyze your project, give you stats on the migrations
path, and which code would port easily, and which would not.
For a decent sized company who has spent a lot of time and money in legacy
VB apps, a mere $5000 would provide them with
the experts and tools on what is involved in the migration.

The other significant tip that fell out of these podcasts is, that for any
serious VB6 app, you would need a very knowledgable .NET programmer to help
woth the migration. Not just the VB6 programmer learning .NET.

FWIW, my interview is Thursday, and I have been knocking off the cobwebs on
a lot of C-related material I hadn't touched in almost 10 years. Wow, hard
to believe how much I've forgotten about pointers,  after having been
spoiled with Python and Visual Basic.