[Coco] Preparing for a job which requires knowledge of C

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Sat Apr 15 21:24:46 EDT 2006

Tony C wrote:

> So earlier this week during a phone screen, I was asked 5 questions about
>  C++ which I couldn't answer. I tried to direct the interviewer to the
> fact that I hadn't used the language in 6 years, and could probably pick
> up the things I need to know relatively quickly.

As someone who has interviewed programmers for (embedded) programming
positions, I can tell you that it's *extremely* difficult to assess 'coding
skill' under interview conditions.

I've come to the conclusion that the absolute best you can hope to assess is
whether or not the applicant can answer your questions!

I'm still amazed at the generally low level of competence out there -
although to be fair it may be that, as a small company, we don't attract the
'guns'?!? At times we worry that our questions are too hard, or unfair. In
the last 7 years we've only had 1 applicant that breezed through all the
questions in a few minutes - and thankfully he still works for us!

> I think asking these types of questions do not really assess one's
> capabilities, and shouldn't be used exclusively to determine of a person
> is suitable for a position without giving them an opportunity to prove
> it. Many managers and engineers where I work also feel this way, and
> don't ask these types of questions.

I can see both sides of the argument. I think questions like this assess the
applicant's experience rather than skill. There should only be a handful of
indicative questions for each field - any more than that tends to ring alarm
bells for me that the company culture is one of elitist w**kers who love to
congratulate each other on how 'pretty' their company coding
standards-conforming code is.

> What is the difference between main() in a C program, and main() in a C++
>  program?

My guess would be that, aside from the C startup code, main() in a C program
is the first code executed. OTOH, all the global constructors are executed
in a C++ program before main(), so you need to be careful what you assume.

Good luck with the job hunting!

Regards,