[Coco] Starting up memory problems and solution.

Stephen Castello zootzoot at cfl.rr.com
Sat Apr 15 12:50:52 EDT 2006

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 23:40:10 -0700, Jim Cox <jimcox at miba51.com> had a
flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

>After setting up my CoCo-3 and briefly testing it last
>weekend, I decided to move the tabe to a better location.
>
>After the move, I briefly powered it up and then decided
>to try a different monitor.  It was a used monitor that I
>hadn't tried before, and it didn't come up right away and
>when it did the entire screen was green without any text.
>
>I determined it was the RAM problem.  I reseated my Disto
>board multiple times, but only had marginal success and
>even then the screen would go blank after a minute or so.
> I swapped out the board for a new C-9 512 board and after
>a few adjustments, I got it seated correctly and it worked
>fine.  I
>
>I am running the memory tests now and it's working fine
>now.
>
>I am going to reseat all the RAM on the Disto board and
>clean it's contacts and try it on another CoCo 3.
> Hopefully it's just needs a little attention.
>
>I just wanted to check and see if anyone else has seen
>this issue with the screen being blank due to a memory
>issue.
>
>-Jim

I've had mine come blank, but most of the time it's full of random
characters.  If it occurs with nothing in the slot, moving the 512k
board pins up & down in their sockets has cured it.  For the blank
screen, it's usually the cartridge slot's fault.  I think it's revenge
for not using it enough. :-)

Stephen