[Coco] booted again!

Stephen Castello zootzoot at cfl.rr.com
Fri Apr 7 23:01:22 EDT 2006

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 18:05:47 -0700, Jim Cox <jimcox at miba51.com> had a
flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

>Silly question here, but I am about to fire up my CoCo
>again after it sat dormant for a year and I then moved it
>to a new location, but what things should I be cautious of
>to prevent problems, and what is the correct power up
>sequence for a CoCo with a CM8 Monitor, MPI and Disk
>Controller/Drives?
>
>I believe the power up sequence should be:
>
>MPI->Drives->Monitor->CoCo

I do in this order: (LCD Monitor,Drives,VGA adapter)->MPI->Coco.

>Power down should be in the reverse order.  Sorry I
>haven't had time to dig out the manuals.
>
>I am at work as I type this, so I am going from memory,
>but I have a J&R(?) disk controller that I know goes into
>the fourth  slot on the MPI, but it's fit is a little
>snug.  Is this common for this controller?  I might have
>the name wrong but it does start with J.

Slot 4, and switch set to 4.  My Disto Super Controller is a tight fit
also, especially since I have a smartwatch in it.

>I plan to clean the contacts on as much as possible with
>Isopropol too.

A soft eraser works for the tinned contacts.

>After I get this configuration up and running, I plan to
>plug in my adapter from Roy and see how it looks with a
>17" VGA.  In a few weeks I hope to have the Catweasel
>finally running.

It's alot better than a tv.

>One last thing, I have a AT keyboard adapter from Cloud-9
>that I know Mark had to replace the HC11 on (I think that
>was it) and while logic says yes, has anyone tried using a
>PS-2 keyboard with a PS-2/AT adapter with this?  It should
>work.
>
>I'm hoping I don't have any interruptions this weekend so
>I can get this done and actually up and running.
>
>Oh, one last last thing, I am also planning to set up a
>Win 98 box in the same spot for development work.  I
>believe 98 is the best version from all the talk I've seen
>about DOS.

It's the last one that lets you get to DOS with no problems.

If you have the RS 512k upgrade, you may have to pop the cover and
wiggle the connectors if you get garbage on the screen.

Stephen