[Coco] PBJ Word-Pak

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Apr 7 01:58:25 EDT 2006

On Thursday 06 April 2006 22:50, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 4/6/06 6:28:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>
>webmaster at coco3.com writes:
>>Does  anybody know of any Disk BASIC software that can use the
>>Word-Pak?  Also, is NitrOS-9 equipped to use this cartridge  already
>> or do I need to painfully build a boot disk just to try it  out.
>
>You must be talking about a Nitros for Level 1, Coco 1/2.  No need for
>  the WorkPak on a Coco3, except the characters are a little crisper,
> and maybe  you can run TWO monitors, graphics and text simul'ly (I
> may have sort of tried that once).

Thats what I was doing with it Mike, running a 2nd monitor.  I could
start an assembly or compile, then list the output as it built, and
watch it go by while I was actualy working on the color monitor at
another project.

>Actually, the text was crisp because I was using a better monitor,
> though I was already using a B/W composite monitor with the Coco1's
> monochrome output, using a 2-transistor circuit that I cobbled up.
>
>You do need a device descriptor and driver in your boot, and some way
> to switch OS9 into using the WordPak.  I did own one once, may have
> sold it,  maybe still have it.  I ran DynaStar just fine on it under
> L1, till I got  my Coco3 and L2.
>
>I'm  interested in experimenting with this thing so if anybody has the
>technical specs for a programmer, let me know.
>

>Just find the old drivers and DD.  ISTR the Pak has a built-in relay
> to bypass the Pak and send the Coco's output direct to the monitor,
> which keeps  you going until you get the Pak working, without
> repeatedly jerking cables around.  Good luck, Mike K.

Mine didn't have anything like that at all Mike.

I should point out that there were at least 2 versions of that thing
sold, one in a std long black cartridge case like early floppy
controllers, and one in a rather flimsy 2 piece blow-molded, ivory
colored case.  I sold that one sometime ago, but still have the one I
modded to make it drive ttl syncs seperately over a db9 connector thats
still just hanging out the end of the pack after all these years.  I
had to add a pair of 10 cent transistors for the buffers over on one
corner of the board.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: