[Coco] OT -- MORE re PC needs TWO Shut Downs

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Wed Apr 5 22:23:38 EDT 2006

KnudsenMJ at aol.com writes:

>In a  message dated 4/5/06 2:51:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time, flexser at fiu.edu

>writes:
>
>>You  might want to check Control  Panel/Power Options/Advanced and make
sure
>>that
>>Shut Down is selected as what to do when the power  button is  pressed.

>OK, will check that.  Though I  hardly ever touch the power button  except
>start the PC up  (after turning on the UPS).  Normally it does a  Reset if
you
>touch it.  After a shutdown that failed to kill the power,  you  have to
hold
>it in for several seconds to get a power-down,  so I just kill the  UPS
instead.

Actually, my Power Options does not have anything about the reset button in
the PC case.  Maybe I need to check the BIOS settings and make sure they  are
set to "control by the OS".
Then perhaps WIndows power mgmt will realize I have a button.

FWIW, the button seems to be strictly software/firmware -- it just sends a
signal to the MB, which the BIOS and OS can interpret or ignore at will.
--Mike K.