[Coco] CoCo bitbanger does 115200 bps !

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 5 07:36:58 EDT 2006

--- George's Coco Address <yahoo at dvdplayersonly.com> wrote:

> I'm a bit ignorant about just how fast the coco can process data. So, please
> be kind to me when I present my thoughts on this..
>
> If we were to process 115,200 bits per second through the bitbanger port,
> how many clock cycles and instructions per bit, would this require?
<snip>
>  That being asked, does a "stock" coco at 1.78mhz have time to do this and
> still be able to store data onto a storage device? Or is this just
> displaying it to the VDG generator?

That's something I'm wondering, how long can you sustain that before you have
to dump something to disk, or alternatively if you're just filling RAM, how
long until 512K is overflowing? Quick mental calculations tell me it would be
about a minute...?

I'd like to see a real comparison based on a set standard, like loading a
PMODE4 graphics screen.

>  If so, I bet when other folks jump in and expand on it, this could be a
> winfall for OS-9.
>

>From what I've read, I wouldn't expect OS-9 to be capable of even 33600 via the
bitbanger. Maybe with a strong tailwind. ;)

cheers,
Bob