[Coco] CoCo bitbanger does 115200 bps !

Roger Taylor webmaster at coco3.com
Tue Apr 4 22:22:45 EDT 2006

At 07:55 PM 4/4/2006, you wrote:

>In a message dated 4/4/06 8:39:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>theother_bob at yahoo.com writes:
>
> >Way  Cool! How does this compare to the CoCo's normal speed floppy disk
> >access?
> >Also curious about double speed disk access (ala HDB-DOS)  and hard drive
> >access.
>

>Yeah, good stuff!  And I got excited a year ago when I figured out how  to
>read MIDI at 312500 bps (while parsing the MIDI 2- and 3-byte groups).

That's ~2.86 clock cycles in between bit samples.  Can this be done?  Well,
I think you have 2x that cycle count if you use the 2mhz mode.

I see 3 ways to speed up my 115200 bps receiver considerably, but I don't
know if the PC's 16550 can do odd rates past 115200 ?  In other words, I
don't know if I can double my rate limit but I can surely boost some more
speed out of it, like maybe 200 kbps.

--
Roger Taylor