[Coco] CoCo bitbanger does 115200 bps !

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Tue Apr 4 20:55:09 EDT 2006

theother_bob at yahoo.com writes:

>Way  Cool! How does this compare to the CoCo's normal speed floppy disk
>access?
>Also curious about double speed disk access (ala HDB-DOS)  and hard drive
>access.

Yeah, good stuff!  And I got excited a year ago when I figured out how  to
read MIDI at 312500 bps (while parsing the MIDI 2- and 3-byte groups).

ISTR the Coco floppy data rate is about the same, 100K/s, but I think  that's
bytes, not bits, so floppy is still 8x faster.

Hard drive access is always done via an intermediate hardware buffer of 256
or 512 bytes.  The bytes are read in/out by a tight software loop that goes
between the hardware buffer and Coco RAM.  The faster the CPU and tighter  the
code, the faster a whole file can be moved.
--Mike K.