[Coco] OT -- PC needs TWO Shut Downs

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 4 21:25:18 EDT 2006

--- KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:

> theother_bob at yahoo.com writes:
>
> >Found at  http://www.vfrazee.com/ms-dos/6.22/help/help%20summary.htm
>

> Thanks -- I do remember that vaguely from the days of making MSDOS boot
> floppies.
> But I still think something extra is needed to put the so-called "Master
> Boot Record" onto a hard drive.  Or does the above do that, along with the
> three
> files?
>
> I have a brand spanking new 100G Maxtor waiting to go into my PC, and I  want
>
> to make sure I can switch the booting job over to it after it becomes the
> "master."
> Thanks, Mike K.

You'll likely have to partition the drive into several partitions due to the
age of your motherboard (BIOS limitation.) I think I have the Maxblast BIOS
overlay software for using larger partitions than normally allowed, or you
might find it on the web.

So you'll boot with a floppy, use FDISK or Maxblast or your choice to partition
it. Then use FORMAT C:/s to make it bootable... if you forget the /s switch,
that's where SYS can be used. This will make the drive bootable, but you won't
get CD access without DOS drivers and editing CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT.

For 98se I would just use a basic FORMAT C: from the boot floppy and start the
CD setup while the floppy based drivers are still in command.

Bob