[Coco] OT -- PC needs TWO Shut Downs

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Mon Apr 3 23:10:58 EDT 2006

KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:

> I agree, the shutdown issue is not a RAM thing.  RAM could be causing  the
> icon rot and forgetting to pwoer-save that I mentioned in a later  posting.

The icon rot is probably video hardware/driver related. Power issues are
probably driver/BIOS related...

> Right.  I do plan to check to see what programs do get shut down, if  any, by
> the first attempt.  It would be a riot if Norton AV were the cause,  but then
> AV cops have to break a lot of the laws themselves ...

I think that method will narrow it down, plus there have been a few
other good suggestions- the nvidia driver suggestion is also a good one.

> If the little chip caps that surround the SIMMs dry up, DRAM isn't worth
> much ...

Generally it's the bigger caps by the PWM drivers for the CPU core
voltage that die first. All sorts of bizarre things begin to happen.

> I'd hate to re-install everything, and this PC does have nice audio and  MIDI
> connections on the front panel, and it has real peripherals like floppy and
> serial ports (and CD-R/W and DVD drives).
>
> Actually, my Linux development and music apps box runs RH 7.0.  I try  to
> avoid the upgrade mania that Linux world has fallen into.  Someone gave  me a
> newer box with a recent Fedora on it, much nicer, but it has no MIDI  drivers and
> can't be given them easily, so it's a paperweight.  I'm  thinking of moving
> my Win98 hard drive into it and see if it will wake up as an  improvement to my
> rather slow Windows box.  --Mike K.

well I don't necessarily advocate upgrading for the sake of upgrading,
but at the same time, both doze and linux have made great strides in the
last 8 years, and I've got no nostalgia for the "olden days" of either.
Don't get me wrong I still love my CoCo, even though it be 20 years older!