[Coco] OT -- PC needs TWO Shut Downs

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Mon Apr 3 22:55:03 EDT 2006

In a message dated 4/3/06 10:44:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lamune at doki-doki.net writes:

>This  really isn't typical of a memory problem. Memory problems are
>generally either completely random or totally persistent. Also they
>generally don't manifest themselves in that  manner.

I agree, the shutdown issue is not a RAM thing.  RAM could be causing  the
icon rot and forgetting to pwoer-save that I mentioned in a later  posting.

>The  most common cause of that particular behavior is a program that does
>not respond or play along with the shutdown  sequence.

Yep, that's what I've been thinking.

>Best  way to figure this out is to see what programs are running. Kill
>one  and then try the shutdown- then reboot the thing and start over. You
>may find it that way. If not, it's something hidden, possibly malware,
>or even your antivirus package, etc.
Right.  I do plan to check to see what programs do get shut down, if  any, by
the first attempt.  It would be a riot if Norton AV were the cause,  but then
AV cops have to break a lot of the laws themselves ...

>I'm  seeing a lot of weird behavior on machines from that vintage lately.
>The capacitors are crapping out and causing lots of strange  behavior.

If the little chip caps that surround the SIMMs dry up, DRAM isn't worth
much ...

>Fortunately PCs have almost no nostalgia value to me, so I'd  happily
>trash it. I'll also take the same stance as I took with people  'round
>here running Red Hat 9. Time to upgrade. That was so  1998...

I'd hate to re-install everything, and this PC does have nice audio and  MIDI
connections on the front panel, and it has real peripherals like floppy and
serial ports (and CD-R/W and DVD drives).

Actually, my Linux development and music apps box runs RH 7.0.  I try  to
avoid the upgrade mania that Linux world has fallen into.  Someone gave  me a
newer box with a recent Fedora on it, much nicer, but it has no MIDI  drivers and
can't be given them easily, so it's a paperweight.  I'm  thinking of moving
my Win98 hard drive into it and see if it will wake up as an  improvement to my
rather slow Windows box.  --Mike K.