[Coco] OT -- PC needs TWO Shut Downs

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Mon Apr 3 22:44:25 EDT 2006

This really isn't typical of a memory problem. Memory problems are
generally either completely random or totally persistent. Also they
generally don't manifest themselves in that manner.

The most common cause of that particular behavior is a program that does
not respond or play along with the shutdown sequence.

Best way to figure this out is to see what programs are running. Kill
one and then try the shutdown- then reboot the thing and start over. You
may find it that way. If not, it's something hidden, possibly malware,
or even your antivirus package, etc.

I'm seeing a lot of weird behavior on machines from that vintage lately.
The capacitors are crapping out and causing lots of strange behavior.

Fortunately PCs have almost no nostalgia value to me, so I'd happily
trash it. I'll also take the same stance as I took with people 'round
here running Red Hat 9. Time to upgrade. That was so 1998...