[Coco] OT -- PC needs TWO Shut Downs

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Apr 3 22:35:21 EDT 2006

On Monday 03 April 2006 22:26, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 4/3/06 10:15:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>
>gene.heskett at verizon.net writes:
>>Put  linux on it Mike, as I duck and run. :)
>
>Haw haw, you didn't see my later message whereby Linux plays even
> funnier games -- once in a while the machine will shutdown and reboot
> itself.  And sometimes a boot will hang, and so the next boot sticks
> me with the dreaded fscheck (coffee break time).
>
>But at least Linux always *tries* to shut down on the first attempt
> :-) --Mike K.

That machines next job is to run memtest86 then, there is certainly more
than wood in the woodpile of its memory.

And the fsck can be relegated to the feel good times if you convert them
to ext3 file system with a

'tune2fs -j /dev/drive_and_whatever_partition'

This enables the journalling but will not effect the data.

I've been using it pretty much since it was developed, and have not had
a filesystem problem that wasn't impending drive failure related since.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: