[Coco] The Rainbow on Disc Project

Michael Wayne Harwood michael at musicheadproductions.org
Tue Apr 18 19:42:44 EDT 2006

Hey guys,

Sorry for the silence over the last couple of days in regards to the
Rainbow on Disc project.  Hopefully this post will answer most, if not
all, questions and concerns.

The project has been stalled for quite a few months due to a slew of
personal circumstances completely outside of my control.  I won't get into
the boring details.

The constraints the project is operating under is due to the agreement I
signed with Lonnie Falk as well as my understanding of what his desires
are.  He still owns the Rainbow copyright and I feel it important to honor
his wishes.

The project cannot be opened up to be a "community project" in some ways,
but I very much need help from those of you that would be willing to.  Let
me clarify one or two points to provide a baseline.  If a person scans a
magazine and provides images to the project the images should not be
shared amongst the Coco community at large.  I would love to be able to
provide a full copy of the end product to any volunteers as incentive, but
I would have to pay $25 out of my own pocket for each set I give away -
doing this for a large number of volunteers starts becoming cost
prohibitive fairly quickly.

The biggest need is for volunteers to scan magazines and help with the
image cleanup that is necessary prior to the images being "packaged" into
the end document format.  A physical inventory of what magazines the
project has in it's possession is located at
http://musicheadproductions.org/rainbow-on-disc/magazineinventory/.  This
also has a list of the Rainbow on Disk files that have been uploaded to my
website since last year.

I have received several offers to scan magazines and I am going to put
together another email detailing what needs to be done when scanning and
cleaning and we can work out the details as to who does what fairly
quickly.

I have been corresponding with a gentleman who has been archiving his
Rainbow collection by using a digital camera and has a fair amount of
images archived.  The image quality is not quite as good as what I have
been producing using a scanner (no offense Greg!), but ultimately the
project is for the purposes of archival and getting this out to the
community.  I will post some example images for comparison this week so
that you can take a look and provide feedback.  It may be that the
community at large would be happier if the project used those images and
got done quickly - if so much of the work acquiring the page images is
already done.

I truly appreciate all of the help I have received so far, and would be
ecstatic to get things moving again if possible.  I am happy to coordinate
the efforts and provide a central document repository for uploading the
images.

Regards,
Michael Harwood

"The best place to be is here,