[Coco] Preparing for a job which requires knowledge of C

Tony C cappy2112 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 01:36:26 EDT 2006

I've been actively interviewing since I will be out of work sometime this
year.
I've been in my current position for 8.5 years, have only used C for a 2-3
month project, about 4-5 years ago.
I worked with C++ for 1-2 years when I first started here (8+ years ago),
and it was the first time I had used C++ outside of school.
The C++ project was extrmeley well architected, and made my coming up to
speed easy, and i was able to produce something  within a reasonable amount
of time.
However, it only used a very tiny subset of the C++ features, which is
really a blessing in disguise, considering all the bloat and pitfalls tied
to the language.
I've never used the STL nor iostreams.

However, I do have both languages listed on my resume, and as a result I
have been asked questions on both. The job req I'm interviewing for done's
read x years with C programming", it just reads "knowledge of C". This is
quite strangely worded, because it could be construed as an entry-level
position (which it certainly is not).

So earlier this week during a phone screen, I was asked 5 questions about
C++ which I couldn't answer. I tried to direct the interviewer to the fact
that I hadn't used the language
in 6 years, and could probably pick up the things I need to know relatively
quickly.

During another phone screen, I was asked a few questions about C which I
couldn't answer, but did answer other questions on C correctly.

I think asking these types of questions do not really assess one's
capabilities, and shouldn't be used exclusively to determine of a person is
suitable for a position without giving
them an opportunity to prove it. Many managers and engineers where I work
also feel this way, and don't ask these types of questions.

Since many of you are professional programmers, I'd like to get your input.

I've found a list of 100 questions on C that I am going over this weekend,
to get ready for a phone interview on Monday.
The job isn't a full-time programming job, and that's fine with me. I've
never been a full-time coder anyway.
(that is, it's a full -time job that doesn't require me to write code al
lthe time)

One question stands out on the list, that I haven't been able to find a
solution on
(most of the others I've been able to come up with reasonable answers,
considering I haven't used the language in over 8 years)

What is the difference between main() in a C program, and main() in a C++
program?

I don't really need to know it, but it is intriguing, and I've never heard
this before even in a classroom

COmments ?

thanks

Tony