[Coco] Re: Multi-vue Vs. Deskmate 3

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Wed Sep 28 05:22:15 EDT 2005

>Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 05:02:14 -0400
>From: Rogelio Perea <os9dude at gmail.com>

>on the MSDOS realm Deskmate had a real chance at becoming THE
>windowing environment but MS Windows 3.x took its chance away -

That and Tandy didn't have the resources to re-write Deskmate to
really take full advantage of the 386.  There's a
newsletter/memo/release note/whatever on TVDog's Tandy 1000 archive
where they admit that Windoze is better on a 386.  But if you've gota
8088, Deskmate is da bomb! :-)

>several third parties released software specifically set to work under
>Tandy's Deskmate...

Some pretty major apps, too.  This was back in the day when Lotus
1-2-3 was King, and they did a Deskmate version.

I play with PC Deskmate 3.5 on my 386 box sometimes.  It amuses me to
do so.  It even has network support, for the old 3Com net and whatever
"Tandylink" was... But it runs in 8086 mode, and that really limits
it.

>if only Tandy had ever released data on the CoCo
>version I bet we would have very much enhanced 'buillt-in' apps,
>meaning a better word processor, spreadsheet and terminal. The Paint
>program of Deskmate 3is pretty decent considering the constricting
>environment it runs on.

Yeah, but the place I would start is expanding the filename handler to
deal with real OS-9 filenames, no more of that 8.3 stuff!

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
   --- Yacko