[Coco] Rita heading towards CoCo3.com :)

Ward Griffiths wdg3rd at comcast.net
Fri Sep 23 13:37:40 EDT 2005

On 09/23/2005 11:13 am, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 23 September 2005 03:08, Stephen H. Fischer wrote:

> We humans, frankly do not have the resources to artificially restart
> it.

Nor did we have the power to stop it.  There is a great exageration about the
effects of humans on climate.  We may have some effect on local weather
occasionally (though even that is questionable).  But (for instance) Mount
Pinatubo pumped more "greenhouse gasses" into the stratosphere in one blast
than the human race produces in any given (20th century) generation.  More
chlorine goes into the air from the oceans in any given week than all of the
Freon(tm) produced in history.

> That was what was scary.  That current has made life quite tolerable
> for both our northeastern seashore states, and the whole of europe
> over the last couple of centuries, and it it stops, that will all
> revert to siberian conditions quickly.  Unforch, the warming is such
> that the siberian permafrost is now thawing, enough to make large
> amounts of the area in-accessable without air transport, which is not
> economically feasable for much of it.  Sounds crazy to say the
> permafrost is thawing and that some parts of the planet will get
> colder, but thats how it appears to work.

Climate is always in a state of change.  Some parts seem a bit faster than
others because they involve phase changes.

> Heh, and what kind of a government and environment will they have?
> We've survived as a republic for 230 years now, but with the social
> upheaval this is bound to cause, will our beloved republic stand?

Our beloved "republic" fell in 1861 (some might say 1803).  Each
administration since the tyrant Lincoln has just hammered a few more nails
into the coffin, to the point now where the metal now vastly outweighs the
wood.  Well, Wilson, FDR and GWB used power tools, not manual hammers.
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

But today doctors are as dependent on Medicare and Medicaid as their
patients are.  The great narcotic of the welfare state has caused
consumers and doctors alike to lose faith not only in the free market
but also in the concept of voluntary charity.  Everyone has lost faith
in himself and in others.  -- Jacob Hornberger