[Coco] Rita heading towards CoCo3.com :)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Sep 23 11:13:03 EDT 2005

On Friday 23 September 2005 03:08, Stephen H. Fischer wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> While generally true, don't forget the decrease in salinization. The
>> sea ice is fairly pure water, the salt having been excluded from the
>> freezing. Its this reduction in the specific gravity that the
>> atlantic conveyer runs on that is bringing it to a halt also. When it
>> reached the north end, the cooling caused it to sink & reverse path,
>> but with the dilution of the saline by the thawing ice, combined with
>> the glacial melt runnoff, is lowering the specific gravity of the
>> now cooler water and neutralizing the engine that drives the atlantic
>> conveyer. That may throw another little ice age across europe and our
>> northeastern seacoast. But this will be temporary if we drasticly
>> reduce the greenhouse gases we emit with our cattle & machinery.
>>
>> I won't live to see it, or very much of it, since I'll be 71 in a
>> couple of weeks, but I have several great grandchildren who might.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Gene
>
>Hi,
>
>You may see it. A PBS show showed that it could happen very quickly. A
> rerun appeared here just recently. There may be more on PBS.org.

I saw that show.  Seemed to be quite factual.  Timeline for the thing
might be under a decade for it to complete.  By complete, the last
figure I saw on ocean current speeds today was about half what it was
30 years ago, with the slowdown apparently accelerating rapidly.

>The north part of the conveyer is in a basin with an underwater ridge at
> the south end. Just change the salinization of the water above the
> ridge and the entire Atlantic conveyer changes to something different
> than what we have now. They did not indicate how the pattern we have
> now could be restarted, just said nothing.

We humans, frankly do not have the resources to artificially restart
it.

That was what was scary.  That current has made life quite tolerable
for both our northeastern seashore states, and the whole of europe
over the last couple of centuries, and it it stops, that will all
revert to siberian conditions quickly.  Unforch, the warming is such
that the siberian permafrost is now thawing, enough to make large
amounts of the area in-accessable without air transport, which is not
economically feasable for much of it.  Sounds crazy to say the
permafrost is thawing and that some parts of the planet will get
colder, but thats how it appears to work.

>I wonder if it will be temporary to even your G G G G children.

Heh, and what kind of a government and environment will they have?
We've survived as a republic for 230 years now, but with the social
upheaval this is bound to cause, will our beloved republic stand?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)