[Coco] Re: AR, etc & incompatible formats

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Fri Sep 23 03:44:43 EDT 2005

>Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:47:50 -0700
>From: Dean Leiber <adit at 1stconnect.com>

>There was also an Ar1.4 and an Ar1.5. If memory serves AR1.5 was the
>'problem' child. It creates AR archives which, obviously the older ARs
>can't open, but neither can Ar2.0. I keep a copy of Ar1.5 around just to
>break these problem archives.

Maybe that's it.  It certainly can be a pain keeping them all straight.

>There was also a non standard LZH archive format as well. The program
>which created it was conveniently called LZH as well! The deal was if you
>didn't use the correct option you'd get a LZH archive other archivers
>couldn't open. I keep a copy of that around as well.

I think I have run into those, also.

>.Pak - I think its an OS-9 only format. It was popular at one point, but
>AR quickly replaced it. There are still PAK archives floating around on
>my backup disks.

I thought it was the same as the PC PAK format... I might have it for
CP/M as well.  Whatever the base OS, it is a pretty rare format.

We can also uncompress ZIP files under OS-9.  And DECB's TC (The
Compressor) ARC files.  And CUTS and uuecoded files, not that those
are exactly *compressed*...

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA