[Coco] Rita heading towards CoCo3.com :)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Sep 22 11:13:06 EDT 2005

On Thursday 22 September 2005 09:27, jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
>Melting Sea Ice will not raise the sea level one inch. It is melting
>glacieral Ice that will raise sea levels. Yes there is enough ice on
>Antartica, Greenland and Siberia to raise water levels should they
>completely melt.
>
>Test
>
>put two ice cubes in a glass of water so that they float. Mark the
>level of water in the glass. After the ice melts measure the water
>level again. It will not change. Why? In solid form sea ice has
>displaced the amount of water by the volume of the ice. As the ice
>melts it displaces less water. The melt fills the vaccum of displaced
>water and the water level remains the same.

While generally true, don't forget the decrease in salinization.  The
sea ice is fairly pure water, the salt having been excluded from the
freezing.  Its this reduction in the specific gravity that the
atlantic conveyer runs on that is bringing it to a halt also.  When it
reached the north end, the cooling caused it to sink & reverse path,
but with the dilution of the saline by the thawing ice, combined with
the glacial melt runnoff, is lowering the specific gravity of the
now cooler water and neutralizing the engine that drives the atlantic
conveyer. That may throw another little ice age across europe and our
northeastern seacoast. But this will be temporary if we drasticly
reduce the greenhouse gases we emit with our cattle & machinery.

I won't live to see it, or very much of it, since I'll be 71 in a
couple of weeks, but I have several great grandchildren who might.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)