[Coco] Linux version of toolshed now available

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Sep 18 20:42:02 EDT 2005

On Sunday 18 September 2005 19:04, John R. Hogerhuis wrote:
>On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 18:49 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> The docs are printing now, but John, I have to ask, is the picture
>> intended to show that this is for vintage computing stuff?  I mean
>> the roof leaks and its obviously a bit drafty for cold weather usage,
>> older even than our coco is I'm sure :-).
>
>I didn't choose the picture, afaik that's Boisy's guest house.
>
>Actually I just assumed it was the rotting abandoned corpse of Radio
>Shack.

Excuses excuses...  :-)

>> I might add, its certainly timely, if it helps me get the
>> current job done, its earned a hearty thank you.

But does it have some utils to replace fdutils?  I haven't seen
anything along those lines.  I'm beginning to think I need to have
Boisy send Madam LaBeau up here to throw a spell of something.

Humm, maybe I have to reboot so it can find the drive, it was hooked
up after the last reboot.  Here is the message I'm getting from
setfdprm:

[root at coyote fdutils-5.5]# /usr/local/bin/setfdprm /dev/fd1 -y -p
COCO720
/dev/fd1: No such device or address

It does exist:
[root at coyote fdutils-5.5]# ls -l /dev/fd1
brw-rw----  1 root floppy 2, 1 Feb 23  2004 /dev/fd1

I'll try the reboot as soon as the ToolShed docs are finished.  And
they just now are done.

Humm, the reboot didn't fix that, but did tell me I was trying to run
the wrong drive as its the only one hooked up, so its fd0.  And after
cleaning house of all old fdutils pieces, now its got a new problem.
Seems the kernels floppy.c driver now needs a friggin patch to handle
floppy formats that have a sector 0.  And the only available patch is
for a nearly 2 year old 2.6.4 kernel, and it won't apply to my
current 2.6.13-rc5 kernel.

It never rains but what it pours.  :-( And frankly, we need a slow, 2"
soaker up here in WV, way too long a dry spell.

I'll send Roy the disk tomorrow.  Simpler that way.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)