[Coco] Color Computer 3 Easter Eggs

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Thu Sep 15 16:39:38 EDT 2005

On Sep 15, 2005, at 1:40 PM, Arthur Flexser wrote:

> I can add one tidbit to the interesting stuff that is there.  I had
> access to a
> preliminary version of the CoCo 3 ROM code, and the 3 mugateers
> picture and the
> code to bring it up on ctl-alt-reset weren't in that, even though
> the other
> Easter Eggs brought up by CLS were.

That IS interesting.  Can you tell us how you got a preliminary
copy?  Was it through someone else or through Tandy?  I presume you
got it because of concerns about compatibility with ADOS?

> In the same section of code, there is also a little-known
> (undocumented?)
> feature that reverses the PMODE 4 artifact colors if you press
> reset and (I
> think) F4.  Only visible on a composite monitor or TV. This was
> needed for some
> games developed for the CoCo 1/2 that booted up with a solid orange
> or blue
> screen randomly, and you had to repeatedly press reset until the
> color was the
> one the instructions called for in order for the game to display
> its colors as
> intended.  On the CoCo 3, you could accomplish this reversal with
> the F4-reset
> feature.

It's F1, and it is actually documented in the "Introducing Your Color
Computer 3" mini manual that came with all CoCo 3s.