[Coco] Why DECB is important to OS-9 folk.

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Sun Sep 11 03:30:00 EDT 2005

>From: "John R. Hogerhuis" <jhoger at pobox.com>
>Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 00:21:09 -0700

>Modern day, I could imagine a little web-form + CGI that looks like the
>Linux kernel config. Check a few boxes, and it would give you a .DSK
>image that boots NitrOS-9 on your hardware that you can 'Save As' to
>hard drive, then test in MESS. Or load online right into Mocha.

You know, I was just thinking that last night, with this thread and
the "config for NitrOS-9" thread...

>But at what point do you learn what you're actually doing? Where's the
>fun?

Presumably, once the user has his machine up and running NitrOS with
the web-generated bootdisk, he can then generate his own custom boots
as needed on his own.   As Boisy said, his scripts are pretty well set
up.

>Probably the analogous thing today is trying to make folks run Linux
>From Scratch instead of Debian. For the moment, I'm fine just installing
>Debian :-)

I'm a slackware man, myself. :-)

This is something that IS missing from the OS-9 picture.  There are
lots of commercial packages.  Lots of freeware.  And lots and lots of
patches for them.  And it is a process of (literally) years to get
most of it set up, patched, and running.  A linux-style Distribution
would be very nice.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA