[Coco] Old Copy Protection Schemes

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Sat Sep 10 00:31:16 EDT 2005

I've only heard of self-destructive copy protection in connection with
"Mr. Dig", a game from Computerware.  When it thought it detected an
illegitimate copy, it wrote "BUY YOUR OWN" all over the directory and/or GAT
sectors of the disk.  (Due to a bug, it ruined some unknown number of legitimate
copies, when the user was hapless enough to try to boot the game from a drive
numbered other than zero.)  Generally, illegitimate copies are detected by
checking the contents of the track's header information.

Art