[Coco] Old Copy Protection Schemes

Steve Ostrom smostrom at mn.rr.com
Fri Sep 9 23:18:20 EDT 2005

Included in a recent eBay purchase of some Coco equipment was someone's
backup disk containing three programs, including Blackbeard's Island, a
graphic adventure marketed by Tom Mix and written by Greg Miller.  I
made a copy of this disk, then ran Blackbeard's Island from the copy.
There was an entertaining graphical intro of scrolling words on an old
fashioned scroll, then the program quit at the same time as the floppy
drive started and quickly stopped.

 I rebooted my Coco3 and checked the directory of the diskette and found
the other two programs were still there but Blackbeard's Island was now
gone.  This is the first time I have run into a self-destructing copy
protection scheme.  I can't imagine this was common, but I think I
remember Marty being very agitated about this type of copy protection
especially.  Was this one of the only programs to utilize one of these
"Mission Impossible" self-destructs?  Are there any details on how the
program knows it is a copy?

-- Steve --