[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: OS-9 as Replacement for DECB.

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu Sep 8 13:02:25 EDT 2005

James

It is not so much the speed of the FPGA as it is the FPGA itself.
Any microprocessor designed and synthesized into a FPGA will run
anywhere from 4 to 8 times slower than appropriate ASIC
fabrication.

Much of this is due to the routing issues within the FPGA. AN ASIC
can better utilize real estate and provide better and faster routing.

DOn't get me wrong there are some circuits that run as well in
FPGA as ASIC. Speeds today are reaching 1 GHz and faster
FPGAs. Equivalent gate sizes at around 6 million gates.

james