[COCO] Makin' new stuff

Jim Cox jimcox at miba51.com
Sat Sep 3 11:17:43 EDT 2005

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 03:15:25 -0400
  Ward Griffiths <wdg3rd at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 09/02/2005 03:31 pm, Ray Watts wrote:
>> Well said, James!!!  The nitpicking and criticism around
>>here seems to
>> have gotten out of hand.  Hells bells, it's only a
>>hobby!
>
> Yup.  Too many of the arguments put me in mind of the
>old debates in science
> fiction fandom between FIAWOL (Fandom is a way of life)
>and FIJAGH (Fandom is
> just a goddam hobby).  I know Fen who've been arguing
>the FIJAGH line for at
> least forty years.
>
> Anybody who doesn't know what SF fandom is, consider
>yourselves lucky.  It can
> be a worse time sink than Usenet.
> --
> Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

Ward:

I have never seen those terms before, but I understand
where you are coming from.  During the 80's I had a mail
order business on the side (my full time job was as a
tech) selling D&D and other role playing gamems and other
such stuff.  A lot of my revenue came from going to
science fiction conventions.

Seeing a lot of the people who had no lives and all the
infighting between "Literary" vs. "Media" vs. "Costuming"
fans and the BS that went in to putting on conventions was
one of the reasons why I got out.  I wish I had done it
way sooner and had gotten more involved with the CoCo back
then when it was still strongly supported.  I wouldn't be
playing catch up right now.

When ever you get a group of people get together who are
passionate about a thing or cause, whether it be
physically or electronically, there will always be
disagreements.

The best thing for all involved is when things get nasty,
is  to take it off line or just think before you type.

-Jim