[COCO] Makin' new stuff

Ward Griffiths wdg3rd at comcast.net
Sat Sep 3 03:15:25 EDT 2005

On 09/02/2005 03:31 pm, Ray Watts wrote:
> Well said, James!!!  The nitpicking and criticism around here seems to
> have gotten out of hand.  Hells bells, it's only a hobby!

Yup.  Too many of the arguments put me in mind of the old debates in science
fiction fandom between FIAWOL (Fandom is a way of life) and FIJAGH (Fandom is
just a goddam hobby).  I know Fen who've been arguing the FIJAGH line for at
least forty years.

Anybody who doesn't know what SF fandom is, consider yourselves lucky.  It can
be a worse time sink than Usenet.
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

Let's get real. According to the CBO's report, in the current fiscal
year the U.S. government is gorging on some $2,142 billion of revenues,
consisting of taxes, fees, charges, fines, and other species of
extractions from the people's purses. This sum works out to
approximately $7,500 for every man, woman, and child resident in this
country, or $30,000 for a family of four average persons. Perhaps some
of those people feel they are getting benefits worth at least this much.
I myself don't have that feeling.   --  Robert Higgs